Embark on the Global Teachers' Award and give yourself the skills, understanding and resources to be a confident global teacher and leader in your school.
Whether you have already been involved in leading global learning or know this is the path you want to follow, the Global Teachers' Award 1 course is a great start. The programme will give you greater skills, confidence and understanding to embed development education in your school's curriculum.
The course, which is endorsed by Oxfam, can be delivered face-to-face or as a live, online interactive course by our specialist, validated trainers.
Every Global Teachers Award training course includes a range of activities. These all support the learning outcomes which are that you, as a teacher, will:
- have increased your ability to understand and critique the knowledge base and key concepts associated with education for a just and sustainable world (global learning)
- be able to identify a range of different perspectives, and question the assumptions behind them
- have enhanced your understanding of approaches to learning which promote critical literacy
- have developed practical ideas for incorporating new insights into your personal life and work-related role
- be able to justify incorporating global learning in the curriculum and include activities to measure changes in attitudes of your pupils in relation to certain global issues
- have increased your confidence and understanding of how to promote informed, active global citizenship.
What is the commitment?
By signing up to take part, you are committing to attend a six-hour face to face or online training course (this might be split, depending upon your trainer or your requirements, as a school).
The online course includes a mix of pre-course activity, active online collaboration and reflective tasks. It is essential to complete and attend all elements of the course. Webinars are live and interactive, not recorded.
Face to face courses are delivered as either a whole school CPD or individual teachers can join a scheduled course. The course includes collaborative and reflective tasks.
Will I get a Global Teachers Award Certificate?
The face to face and online course both offer activities designed to support you to complete a Global Teachers Award application when the time is right for you.
Global Teachers Award accreditation requires the submission of a reflective assignment, based upon the planning and delivery of a global learning lesson to your class. This certification is awarded by the Consortium of Development Education Centres. Your trainer will provide further information on how to apply for a Global Teachers Award certificate.
Who should take part?
This course and recognition is ideal for teachers of all phases - nursery, primary, special, secondary schools, sixth forms and further education colleges. Global learning can be delivered across all curriculum areas and is relevant to everyone. It is particularly useful if you are a school international or global coordinator. We also recommend it to teachers who hold responsibility for eco-schools, SMSC, Fairtrade and so on.
Course attendance is also welcomed from teaching assistants who have the opportunity to deliver global learning activities to student groups or classes within their job role and responsibilities. Successful completion results in Global Educators Award accreditation.
How much does it cost?
This will depend on delivery mode and Development Education Centre running the course
How do I sign up?
If you are interested in booking a whole school course (either face to face of online) or booking as an individual (face to face or online), please let us know.
Here are details of courses being delivered in the next few months:
- CDEC (Cumbria, UK): Thursday 7th March // 9am - 4pm // Low Nook, Rydal Road, Ambleside LA22 9BB. This is an in-person, one-day training event at CDEC's offices in Ambleside, Cumbria. For more information and to book your places, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- RISC (Reading, UK): Thursday 14th, Thursday 21st and Tuesday 26th March // 4.30pm - 6.30pm. This course takes place on zoom over three afternoon sessions - get in touch with email@example.com for more information and to book your places.
- OASES (Durham, UK): Thursday 4th July // Esh Winning, Durham. For more information and to book your places, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there a GTA-2?
Yes, there is. A face to face or online Global Teachers Award 2 course (12 hours in duration) is available by invitation only. This course is aimed at teachers who have successfully attained Global Teacher Award 1 by submitting a reflective assignment to their trainer and who are responsible for leading global learning in their school. If you wish to be considered for the next GTA-2 course, do email us.